On September 16th, the British Columbia Wine Institute will host Colour BC VQA Fall Release Tasting and ChefMeetsBCGrape at Canada Place to showcase VQA wines of British Columbia. To learn more about these two events, please visit our earlier post here. On each day leading up to the events, we will to introduce you to wineries in attendance with unique stories and flavours that you will not want to miss. Today, we would like to introduce:
TIME Estate Winery, Oliver BC
- Learn more about the winery’s two fundamental elements, time and place, that guide their production of wine.
- Ask about the new hospitality centre and winery, to be finished by 2016, which will welcome visitors with a stunningly modern design.
- Taste the generous textures and spicy flavours of 2012 Mertiage that wine critics have been raving about.
The TIME Estate Winery received its winery license in 2011 but the story behind the vineyard dates back to 1993. Harry McWatters and Bob Wareham purchased the then fallow lands of the Monashee Vineyard and in an amazing feat planted the entire property, now named Sundial Vineyards, in 20 days. Since it’s inception, TIME Estate Winery has allowed nature to guide the decisions on which grape varieties would be best suited for their vineyard, where Richard Cleave, the vinyard’s viticulturist, nurtures the vines to produce fruit rich in aroma, strong tannin structure and full flavours. TIME is not only the name but also the main concept that drives this winery’s success; the investment of time into documenting and studying each vintage, paying attention to each vine, and noting that which is discernable only when one takes a moment to pause.
Sundial Vineyard continues to demonstrate why it’s the right place in the south Okanagan to grow premium grapes and reveal the best of TIME.
To Learn More:
What you will taste:
- Meritage (white) 2014 $25 - Classic aromas circle in the glass: honeydew melon, pear, and a hint of tangerine. Taste graceful hints of apricot and mango, swirled with ripe gooseberry. This wine is mellowed by barrel aging, resulting in a sturdy vibrant finish with delicate traces of oak.
- Chardonnay 2013 $27.99 - Luscious aromas of pineapple, ripe melon, and honeysuckle. The palate is citrus and tropical, with buttery characteristics balancing a bright acidity. Butterscotch and vanilla linger in a long, elegant finish. This wine will age gracefully through 2018.
- Meritage 2012 $29.99 - Classic aromas envelop the glass with red berries, black cherries, and peppery nuances. Fragrant characters of rose petal and sage mingle with the darker fruit elements. This wine is rich and structured, with excellent depth and silky well-integrated tannins.
- Cabernet Franc 2013 $19.99 - On the nose, classic aromas of red berries, black cherries, and hints of pepper and sage. On the palate, well-rounded flavours of plum and blackberry. Tannis are softly structured; however, this wine should continue to develop in bottle through 2020.
Who you will meet:
You will be greeted by;
- Harry McWatters, owner and a leader in the BC wine industry for more than 40 years.
- Lawrence Buhler, director of wine making and a dedicated wine lover.
- Jeannette Montgomery, manager of wine clubs and administration.