In case you missed it, on September 16th, the British Columbia Wine Institute will be hosting Colour BC VQA Fall Release Tasting and ChefMeetsBCGrape to showcase VQA wines of British Columbia. To learn more about these two events, please visit our earlier post here. On each day leading up to the events, we would like to introduce you to a winery in attendance with unique stories and flavours that you will not want to miss. Today, we would like to introduce:
Summerhill Pyramid Winery, Kelowna BC
- Understand the biodynamic and organic practices that allows this winery to shape a diversified and healthy ecosystem that promotes healthy crops and balanced wines.
- Become fascinated by the history behind the Summerhill Pyramid Winery, including their award winning sparkling wine and the enchanting story behind the pyramind.
- Try the 2012 “OM” Organic Meritage, which just won the gold medal at the 2015 InterVin International Wine Awards.
Founded in 1991, the Okanagan Valley’s Summerhill Pyramid Winery is Canada’s largest certified organic winery, BC’s first Demeter certified biodynamic vineyard, as well as Canada’s foremost producer of sparkling wine. Winemaker Eric von Krosigk oversees the portfolio of BC VQA wines that have earned the winery the title of ‘Canadian Wine Producer of the Year’ from the International Wine & Spirits Competition in London, England. From the vine to the finishing process within the pyramid cellar, a space designed with precision sacred geometry and aligned to the stars to create a structure of stillness and harmony, these wines are crafted with love and great attention.
To Learn More:
What you will taste:
- Cipes Brut $26.95 - Aromas of apple, lime, pear, almonds and grapefruit. On the palate Cipes Brut exhibits crisp acidity, a soft, creamy mousse, and a long finish.
- Cipes Rose $26.95 - 100% Pinot Noir cuvee grown at multiple vineyard locations around the Okanagan Valley that were planted and are maintained specifically for sparkling wine production to express a crisp, bright style. Notes of raspberry, strawberry, kiwi, blood orange, vanilla, almond, and white toast.
- 2014 Summerhill Vineyard Riesling $29.90 - Based on biodynamic principles, this wine was fermented with the ambient yeasts that came in from the vineyard, resulting in an absolutely beautiful natural wine.
- 2012 "OM" Organic Meritage $65.00 - The conditions in 2012 were perfect for the growth and ripening of Cabernet Franc grapes, which was nature’s hint to produce a meritage blend that showcases this under-appreciated grape. A blend of 56% Cabernet Franc, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, and 2% Malbec, aged in French and American oak barriques.
Who you will meet:
Summerhill's sales manager, Tom Walmsley, will be on hand to answer all of your questions about this majestic winery and their fantastic wines.